5-Day Kaieteur Overland Hike
The 5-Day Kaieteur Overland Hike encompasses a jaunt expedition in the rain forest to spot birds, spot wildlife and enjoy nature at its very best. You will encounter a hidden piece of paradise in this least explored country called Guyana.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Additional Information
The 5-Day Kaieteur Overland Hike will take you through Guyana's most beautiful jungles, rivers, and mountains. The National Park is the oldest protected area in the Amazon Region and it occupies a prominent position in the centre of the two billion year old Guiana Shield.
The trek includes a scenic, rugged and adventurous journey through the Kaieteur gorge and a 2-4 hour hike up “Oh My God” mountain to Kaieteur Plateau where we'll spend the night in awe of nature’s wonderful creation.
The 5-Day Kaieteur Overland Trek will take you through Guyana's most beautiful jungles, mountains, and river plains.
Enjoy a rugged and adventurous journey through the Kaieteur gorge and a 2-4 hour hike up “Oh My God” mountain to Kaieteur Plateau. Spend the most memorable night in awe of nature’s wonderful creation.
After breakfast, you will be escorted to your bus for the journey to the gold mining town of Madhia, passing through Linden, a mining town, along a dusty road to Mabura Hills and Konawaruk. The short drive from Madhia to Pamela will be your last comfort travel for a few days. Travel by boat to Amatuk Falls, where you can take a quick dip in refreshing river water accompanied by the sound of water gushing down the falls. (Meals: lunch, dinner)
Overnight in a jungle camp
After breakfast, change to another boat above the falls to continue your river journey through the Kaieteur Gorge, whose steep slopes raise either side 2,000 feet (609 meters), some with bare rock faces resembling ancient temples. This will bring you to your next campsite at Waratuk Falls. (Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Overnight in jungle camp at Waratuk
After an early breakfast, begin the last leg of the journey—an eight-hour hike from Waratuk Falls to Tukiet and an enchanting overnight camp, with refreshing swimming in the Potaro River and a spectacular view of the Kaieteur Gorge. (Meals: breakfast, lunch dinner)
Overnight in hammock camp
From Tukiet, climb to the top of Kaieteur Falls, a 2-4 hour hike which takes you through several different ecosystems and offers refreshing dips in streams cascading down the mountainside en route.. (Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Overnight at Kaieteur Guest House or similar
RETURN TO GEORGETOWN
Early morning mist gives way to a fantastic view of the falls from Johnson View. Golden frogs can be seen in giant Tank Bromeliads Golden Rocket Frogs, Blue Morpho Butterflies. We depart Kaieteur Falls via airplane and fly back to Georgetown and transfer to our hotel.(Meals: Breakfast, lunch)
Accommodation, internal flights, transfers between airports and hotels, listed hotels and hotel taxes, activities as described and admission charges where applicable, river and land transfers, listed, lodges with full board and other meals as indicated. Local guides, local beverages.
International airfare, airport/departure taxes, gratuities, optional excursions, travel insurance.
- Please note that you will return to the location we picked you up.
- The minimum age is 10 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Not recommended for participants with a walking disability
- Not recommended for persons with severe medical conditions
- Please note: There is a weight restriction of ONLY 20 lbs for flights in and out of Annai; therefore, you should consider this when packing. Ideally, you may wish to bring a backpack.
- What to bring: Pair of cotton pants/quick-dry, light cotton shirts, decent walking shoes/ trainers/sneakers, hat, sunscreen, swimwear, Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and towel, Malaria Medication, Mosquito repellent (50% DEET is sufficient), Pocket money (Souvenirs, tips for guides), Camera equipment (Recommended waterproof for protecting essential equipment from sudden rains, boat rides etc.)
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate.